When I grow up I want to be a …
When I grow up I want to be a …
What if the career you wanted as a child was the career you actually got as an adult?
I’m sure a lot of you remember what you wanted to be as an adult when you were a child being asked the question ‘What do you want to be when you’re grown up?’ If that answer became reality for every child who knew what they wanted to do, I’m sure the world would have a lot more Doctors, Vets, Scientists and Astronauts.
What if this same child now, saw what they were doing, twenty to thirty years from that moment after answering that question?
Sure, I mean a few of us have gone ahead and followed our dreams and became what we wanted as a child, but what of the rest of us?
I want to try something with you: Be yourself, travel back in time, stand in that room where you were asked that question, remembering replying to that question then reflect on what you became?
Did your dream change? Did your options increase as time went on? Do you still lust for those missed opportunities and play the ‘Shudda Woulda Cudda’ game in your own mind? Torturing yourself on the ‘What If’s’ and the ‘If Only’s’ I’m here to tell you – Tough. What is done is done and the opportunities that you missed in that exact perfect scenario will probably never arise again, so don’t dwell on it.
When I was younger, my dream was to be an Astronaut or the very least be able to fly; the astronaut dream quickly collapsed as a grew older due to the reality of the opportunities not being there, along with the fact that I wasn’t and still not to a certain extent, very applied when it comes to academics.
Saying all of this, my will, my dream to fly still hangs on today, (He says somewhat confidently nearing the 30 years of age mark); I knew I could never sprout wings and fly away, but I had a taste of it when I was around 14 years of age, going gliding with my local scout group, and then again, in 2015/16 when I for the first time on the 23rd of May jumped out of a plane – This was the BEST feeling ever, the moment I came to my somewhat bumpy landing I wanted to go up to 15,000 feet again and feel that wind against my face and take in the whole experience.
What if the career you wanted as a child was the career you actually got as an adult?
I’m sure a lot of you remember what you wanted to be as an adult when you were a child being asked the question ‘What do you want to be when you’re grown up?’ If that answer became reality for every child who knew what they wanted to do, I’m sure the world would have a lot more Doctors, Vets, Scientists and Astronauts.
What if this same child now, saw what they were doing, twenty to thirty years from that moment after answering that question?
Sure, I mean a few of us have gone ahead and followed our dreams and became what we wanted as a child, but what of the rest of us?
I want to try something with you: Be yourself, travel back in time, stand in that room where you were asked that question, remembering replying to that question then reflect on what you became?
Did your dream change? Did your options increase as time went on? Do you still lust for those missed opportunities and play the ‘Shudda Woulda Cudda’ game in your own mind? Torturing yourself on the ‘What If’s’ and the ‘If Only’s’ I’m here to tell you – Tough. What is done is done and the opportunities that you missed in that exact perfect scenario will probably never arise again, so don’t dwell on it.
When I was younger, my dream was to be an Astronaut or the very least be able to fly; the astronaut dream quickly collapsed as a grew older due to the reality of the opportunities not being there, along with the fact that I wasn’t and still not to a certain extent, very applied when it comes to academics.
Saying all of this, my will, my dream to fly still hangs on today, (He says somewhat confidently nearing the 30 years of age mark); I knew I could never sprout wings and fly away, but I had a taste of it when I was around 14 years of age, going gliding with my local scout group, and then again, in 2015/16 when I for the first time on the 23rd of May jumped out of a plane – This was the BEST feeling ever, the moment I came to my somewhat bumpy landing I wanted to go up to 15,000 feet again and feel that wind against my face and take in the whole experience.
I want you to go back in time again, explain to your younger
self:
Hey, we didn’t become an astronaut, BUT we did fly and it was amazing, we still haven’t done the other things we dreamed of, BUT there is still time,
I have experienced some amazing things in the time between when I was you and where I am now, and you know what? When there is an opportunity to do something you love, you should do it, experience it, then come back to here and now and tell your once child self what you have done and let the glimmer of amazement light up your eyes.
Just because you are not what you dreamed you would be, doesn’t mean there aren’t aspects of that dream you can still follow! – Experience life, challenge yourself.
Hey, we didn’t become an astronaut, BUT we did fly and it was amazing, we still haven’t done the other things we dreamed of, BUT there is still time,
I have experienced some amazing things in the time between when I was you and where I am now, and you know what? When there is an opportunity to do something you love, you should do it, experience it, then come back to here and now and tell your once child self what you have done and let the glimmer of amazement light up your eyes.
Just because you are not what you dreamed you would be, doesn’t mean there aren’t aspects of that dream you can still follow! – Experience life, challenge yourself.
Comments
Post a Comment